Sunday, June 19, 2011

Lessons from my Father

It's Father's Day--a day to celebrate the man who taught me how to saddle a horse, pen a herd a cattle, shoot a left-handed layup, and love deeply. While words cannot describe the life lessons that George Phillips taught me during the last 25 years, here is a short list of the ones I hold most dear.

1. Service to Others: Dad coached basketball at the college, high school, and junior high level for 20+ years. He coached me in 7th and 8th grade, Frank throughout high school, and many many others at Challis High School/Jr. High, Utah State, Hayden High School (Colorado) and during summer ball camp. He lived and breathed basketball not for the money but for the love of children and the game. He has given his life to educating/coaching kids and I am very thankful for the service that he has given to thousands.

2. Loyalty: Who is your best friend? Are they someone you met in high school, college, or later in life? Dad has had the same best friend, Harold, since he was 7 years old. They have remained close for 45+ years while Dad attended college and played basketball at Lewis and Clark State College and Linfield College, moved to Colorado (where he met my beautiful mom), and returned to Idaho to coach and teach in my hometown. They have endured many challenges and celebrated happy moments together.  My parents have enjoyed a very strong, happy marriage for 26 years and Dad has been the primary caregiver for my Grandpa (who is 91!) Loyalty is a attribute that can not be understated and there is no one who is more loyal to his friends and family than Dad.

3. Hardwork: Frank and I have always pushed ourselves whether we were studying during high school and college, practicing basketball, or preparing for the County and State Fairs; and we have this high work ethic because of our Dad. He encouraged us to do our very best and was extremely supportive at every step. I cannot calculate the miles he has driven in the past two decades taking us to sporting events, horse shows, fairs, college visits, and life celebrations. He is truly a man to be emulated and I am so lucky to be able to call him Dad!

I will see my parents on Friday for a Family Reunion in Colorado but I am unable to spend time with him today. Luckily, when I was home in Idaho in May, he gave me multiple packages of home-grown beef. Today, in honor of my Dad (and my Grandmother), I made a hamburger casserole that takes me back to time around the dinner table with the Phillips family.

Grandma Phillips Hamburger Casserole

1 pound ground beef (local, grass-fed)
1 chopped onion
1 16-oz can crushed tomatoes
1 15-oz package of macaroni (or penne pasta)
2 tablespoons italian seasoning
1 cup cheese (I used cheddar and romano)
salt and pepper

Brown ground beef with onion and generous amounts of salt and pepper.
In medium saucepan, simmer tomatoes and italian seasoning.
Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente.
Toss together beef, tomato sauce, and pasta.
Add casserole to 9 by 13 glass pan and cover with cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment