Saturday, March 19, 2011

Felice! A Happy Journey Through Tuscany

We have returned from Tuscany. The sights were breathtaking (in fact, I was in sensory overload the entire week) and the food was out of this world. There is major hype about the food in Italy and it is all true. We ate our way through the Tuscan region and have come home with new knowledge to share with you. Blake is worried that food at home will never be as good...just wait until I perfect my recipes from Chef Paolo :) 

Here are my favorite memories from our journey: 

-Gaining tremendous respect for your husband: Not only did Blake learn how to drive a stick shift (I will be honest he killed it about 10 times in the first hour of driving but by Day 2, he was a pro); kept a calm demeanor when we were completely lost in the hills outside of Pisa and again in Lucca trying to find the cooking class; and biked through the pouring rain because I was determined to ride bikes through the Tuscan countryside but he was able to communicate in Italian. My parents gave us an Italian to English dictionary that he carried with him through our entire trip. He picked up the language very quickly and was able to have short dialogues with friends we met along the way. If you ever need a wonderful travel partner, Blake is it!

-Stefano and the Le Grand Cafe D Europe: During our first night in Montecatini Terme, we were brought to this amazing restaurant by Joe, a local resident who is a trained chef and sommelier for Princess Cruises. He introduced us to Stefano, the owner of this little gem and we were welcomed like family. The first night (yes, there were 5 more) we dined on delicious Papperdelle with Rosa Sauce, Ravioli with Ricotta and Truffles, and the best Tiramisu I have ever tasted (it honestly was like fireworks in my mouth). We left with huge smiles and returned night after night. Stefano became like the Italian Uncle we never had and helped us make our way through his menu--Steak Alla Florentina, Vegetarian Pizza (my favorite meal of the trip), Spaghetti Carbonara, Chocolate and Pear Pie, Italian wine, and liquor (locally made lemoncello and grappa). He told us about the challenges of being a restaurant owner in Montecatini (a spa town that is only full in the summer), stories about his nine month stay in New Jersey, and patiently helped us with our Italian. We left every night with a smile, a full belly, and for me a Ciao Bella (Goodbye Beautiful). 

-Climbing Towers and Amazing Vistas: Blake and I love to climb. We have seen amazing views from the top of light houses, mountains, and roller coasters but the most breathtaking view I have ever seen is from the bell tower in Firenze (Florence). In fact, I almost fainted during my first glimpse. You begin climbing about 250 steps and the view is amazing, and then you find another staircase and can go higher and then you find another and another. In the end, there are 4 levels of vistas for you to enjoy. The view from Michelangelo Park south of the Arno River is the best place to get a picture of the Duomo and the entire city. We also enjoyed amazing views from the top of the Cathedral in Siena, the Bell Tower in Lucca, and the top of Montecatini Alto. My best travel tip is to seek out the towers and tops of mountains for the bird's eye view! 

-The Food and Caffe: As I mentioned in the introduction, the food is worth all of the hype. Tuscan food is rich and delicious but it does not weigh you down. During our lunch in Firenze, I devoured a large ensalada and an entire Margherita pizza and felt great afterwards. In fact, Blake and I immediately climbed about five miles to Michelangelo Park to get the beautiful view of the city. We dined on various pasta dishes, pizza, Lucchenese Farro Soup (a specialty in Lucca made with whole grain farro, local greens, and beans), panini, and delicious desserts. Plus, the caffe is the best coffee I have ever had. It is strong without being bitter and for an extra treat, try cappuccino. They only use whole milk in Italy so it is rich and satisfying. The taste of Italy will stay with me for a lifetime. 

-Cooking with Chef Paolo Monti: This was my absolute, without a doubt, favorite day in Italy! It makes perfect sense because I love being in the kitchen and eating! When we arrived at the Hotel Carignano, a beautiful Tuscan villa hotel in the middle of olive oil and wine country, we were given the recipes for the day and our aprons. Chef Paolo Monti informed us that were were the only guests so we would be getting a private lesson. Wow, how did we get so lucky?? We signed up for the basic ingredients and sauces class because my pasta dishes needed some work and always turned out pretty but bland. Chef Paolo to the rescue! We began the class by tasting 12 olive oils from all over Italy (the best being from a producer two kilometers down the road in Lucca) and smelling fresh herbs. Then, we dived right in by making the basic stock and tomato sauce. With those two concoctions, we created four more pasta dishes (Bolognese Meat Sauce, Creamy Mozzarella and Tomato, Cherry Tomato and Basil, and Spicy Tomato and Pancetta). Throughout the four hour lesson, we also made three types of bruschetta, another pasta dish with capers and olives, two main courses (Chicken Cacciatora and Pork Tenderloin with Lemon Cream Sauce) and Tiramisu. After our work was done, we sat and had a lovely four course meal with wine. It was a dream come true for me and I cannot wait to begin cooking and sharing my new knowledge with all of you! Stay tuned for all of the recipes (don't worry, they are actually very easy). 

I found my word: Felice! I always thought it was "happy"and it is: Felice=Happy! As I sit here reliving our wonderful memories, I am reminded of how lucky I am to have the ability and desire to travel. This was a dream come true for me...thank you Blake for being an amazing travel and life partner. Where shall we go next year??

Ciao! 

No comments:

Post a Comment