Monday, April 9, 2012

Lifelong Friends

I have been incredibly lucky during the last 26 years, somehow I got the long straw and have been fortunate enough to have close friends during all phases of my life.  I am so overwhelmed with love  that I thought it was finally time to write a blog about some of the people who are most special to me.

Of course, my mother is my best friend and understands me more than anyone else. I have been in Charlottesville for 4 years and not a day goes by that I don't wish I had my Mom next door. We can talk for hours about everything (or nothing as Blake notes). I am so proud that she has dedicated her life to serving our country's youth as a public school teacher.

In college, I met my best friends through Kappa Delta and am still close to them (despite the miles that are between us).

Jess (my twin from the sorority), is an Air Force Officer and recently transferred to Andrews AFB in DC from Buckley AFB in Denver. I was overjoyed when I got the news that she was coming East. A few weeks back, we all got word that she was being deployed to Afghanistan for a short-term assignment until September. I just spent the weekend with her and could not be more proud to call this beautiful, strong, smart and talented soldier my friend.

Christina is my BFF. We met our freshman year in a science course. She was going through a black emo phase and I was going through a "pink Reese Witherspoon, Legally Blonde" phase; yet, our friendship soared throughout college and beyond. She is a gourmet cook, CPA, marathon runner. Can you say overachiever? Luckily for me, she is moving to Pennsylvania this summer and will only be a drive (instead of a day's flight) away. I see many trips to the beach and the theatre in NYC in our future!

Jennell is the mother hen of our friends. She is the one who plans the fun weekends together, makes sure we are eating well, and tells us when we need to have an attitude adjustment. She has two beautiful daughters and works as an Accountant at a Lineman's College. She is incredibly caring and is the perfect person to have on speed dial when motherhood begins.

Becky is a Golf Pro in Eugene who spends her day's outside smoozing and teaching people how to play this awesome sport! She is incredibly athletic and loved living with Blake and I for a summer in Charlottesville.

Noel is finishing up her Master's degree in Physical Therapy at Western NC State. She spent a few years in Nags Head, NC and we took advantage of the extra beach time.

Dela lives in Peru and is having her first baby in a few months. I miss her tremendously and have not seen her since 2006, yet we correspond via Facebook and our relationship is as strong as ever.

They say you meet your husband in college (which did happen) but they forgot to mention that you meet your best friends, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment