Monday, May 7, 2012

Homemade Carnitas Tacos

The Third Annual Armstrong Cinco de Mayo party was a success! We celebrated my favorite holiday of the year surrounded by friends and dined on homemade pork tacos. As I mentioned in my previous post, I bought myself a cast iron tortilla press which added an extra special touch to this year's fiesta! Many of my friends raved about the homemade tortillas and carnitas and asked for the recipes. I promise, they are much easier (and healthier) than you think!

Homemade Tortillas
2 cups Masa Harina (I used Bob's Mill brand and it worked great)
1 1/2 cups hot water
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a bowl, mix masa harina and salt. Add water slowly and begin incorporating with hands until a soft and not sticky dough is formed. Once you achieve the correct consistency, knead dough for 5 minutes.
Let rest in a bowl covered with plastic wrap for one hour, this step is important to let the gluten develop.
Divide dough into 16 small balls. Roll out with rolling pin between two pieces of parchment paper (use tortilla press if you have one). Heat a cast iron skillet and cook tortillas for about 1 minute on each side. Keep tortillas warm in a dry dish towel.

Crock Pot Carnitas

1 pork tenderloin
1 15-ounce jar of tomatillo salsa
2  chopped bell peppers
1 chopped red onion
2 chopped jalapenos

This is one of my favorite party recipes because it is incredibly easy, healthy and my friends love it! Put all of the ingredients into a crock pot and cook on low for 7-8 hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment