Friday, August 24, 2012

No Bake Cookie Granola Bars

It's been a long hiatus since I last posted. Blake and I have moved to Winston-Salem, NC as he begins his new journey as a Wake Forest MBA Student and I have continued to work for the University of Virginia from my home office. We are absolutely loving North Carolina! The fresh produce is endless, the days are warm and the people are incredibly friendly! We are getting settled in and meeting lots of new friends. Since we arrived, I have traveled to Virginia Beach, Indiana, Raleigh, Charlotte and made two return trips to Charlottesville. I enjoy traveling and sometimes find it hard to find healthy fare. When I was a child, one of my favorite treats were chocolotely no-bake cookies. Of course, the original recipe is loaded with butter and processed sugar, two things I try to limit in my daily life. Here is a raw healthy version that is packed full of whole grains, protein, natural sweetener and filling fiber.

No Bake Cookie Granola Bars
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup dates
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup roasted peanuts (unsalted)

Process rolled oats and dates in a food processor. Add honey, peanut butter, cocoa and salt. Add enough water (about 1 cup) to make a sticky consitency. Add roasted peanuts and pulse until coursely chopped.

Add mixture to a cake pan and put in refrigerator for at least one hour. Cut into individual squares and wrap in plastic wrap. Store in freezer.

These make incredible travel and school snacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment