Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cinco de Mayo and Citrusy Lime Bars!

I love Cinco de Mayo... in fact, it's my favorite holiday which sounds strange coming from a girl from Idaho of Danish descent but I LOVE it. As I've mentioned in previous posts and many of my recipes reflect, I enjoy latin flavors, salsa music, and the bright decorations. Blake and I throw an annual Cinco de Mayo party and Saturday night, 20 of our closest friends joined us for a fiesta. In previous years, I took a vacation day on May 5 and cooked up a storm. However, we moved the party to April 30 this year because I am planning the Darden Cinco de Mayo party as a member of Staff Council and the Admissions staff is having an evening party at Katherine's house. Therefore, in 2011 I get to celebrate Cinco de Mayo three times! Wow, that makes me happy!

In other news, this week has been packed with social events...
-- Dinner at The Local with the Second Year Admissions Committee (delicious Mushroom Ragu and awesome conversation about everyone's go-to karaoke song)
--Happy Hour with Everette, Sally, Pam, KK, and Blake at Belmont Pizza (beautiful day with wonderful people)
--Dinner at Fry Spring's Station with the First Year Admissions Committee (pizza, prosecco, and gaining approval from my big boss to go on the Amazing Race...yes, our application will be in the mail soon!)
--Teaching Jammin' Jambalaya at the Boys & Girls Club (Rex, one of our high schools breaking into an awesome dance move after tasting our Creole Concoction)

I had the opportunity to plan a 50th birthday party at work for Margaret, one of my closest colleagues and friends at Darden. She is an amazing woman with two beautiful daughters whom she adopted from Vietnam, Kylie and Macy. Margaret is an educator, caregiver, mother, and friend to many. Today,  people around the Darden Grounds joined us to celebrate this very special lady. Angela took her out to lunch so we could set-up the surprise party and I made lime bars and chocolate chip cookies while Fred and KK helped by making brownies and mint cookies (thank you all for your help!) Jack also passed down the inflatable walker to Margaret for safekeeping...Everette, are you next??

Citrusy Lime Bars

This dessert is perfect for birthdays, picnics, Cinco de Mayo parties, or anytime you are craving something sweet (no, this is not one of my traditional healthy recipes but it's for a party!)

Crust
1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 cups flour
pinch salt

Filling
4 eggs
2 cups sugar (I used raw sugar)
6 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup lime juice (freshly squeezed is best)
2 teaspoons lime zest

To make crust, begin by beating sugar and butter until creamy.
Add flour and salt until combined.
Press crust into a sprayed 10 by 13 glass pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes and allow to cool.

To make filling, cream together eggs and sugar.
Add flour, juice, and zest until combined.
Layer over crust and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
Dust with powdered sugar.

*Adapted from a Pat and Gina Neely recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment