Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Road Home

Our lives are defined by special moments.  I just spent time in Idaho with family/friends and it was a week of celebrations! Here are some of the highlights of a wonderful journey home.

     1.   Frank’s graduation: My brother joined me as a University of Idaho Alumni when he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Biology. I was skeptical of the outdoor ceremony on the football practice field (the Kibbie Dome is being renovated) but as the sun and clouds rolled over the Idaho water tower and my brother gave us a thumbs up on the big screen, it turned out to be a very good day. Not only did I have the opportunity to return to my alma mater but I was able to give Becky (one of my bridesmaids and KD sisters ) a big graduation hug, spend quality time with Trevor, my best friend from high school (can you believe we have been friends for a decade?), and meet Whitney’s wonderful extended family.

     2. Brian’s new job: My brother and sister-in-law and niece will be returning to Moscow (Blake’s hometown and our college town) when Brian begins a new job in Annual Giving at Washington State University. I am very proud of his patience and perseverance as he followed his true passion for writing.  I also spent a few days with my in-laws before graduation and had a wonderful time lunching, cooking, and walking with my mother-in-law;  playing tea party and dancing ballet with Reese; and enjoying long conversation with Kristi.

3.     Spending quality time with family:  I have the best family in the world! We did the grand tour of Idaho and spent a total of 30 hours in the car. While I could do without the constant sitting, I cherish these moments together and we have the best conversations. I had a blast in my hometown rabbit hunting (I was the paparazzi), taking long walks with my Mom, chatting with my Dad about everything from nuclear energy to genetically modified food, creating gourmet meals using goodies from the Food Co-op, and spending hours around the table beer tasting and belly laughing. Also, since I am sharing good news, my 91 year-old Grandpa looked amazing (while his balance needs improvement, he could pass for 70 and was in the best spirits that I have seen in years).  I also spent the night with my Uncle Curt and Aunt Stephanie who were instrumental during my childhood. Thank you so much for letting me stay for weeks at a time as I attended conferences and sporting events, cooking countless meals and hosting friends, and driving me all over Boise.  The saying “It takes a village to raise a child” rang true for me and I thank everyone who supported me along the way.

4.      Great friends:  My best friend and college roommate, Christina, hosted Ladies Night when I was home. It was wonderful to spend time with her, my other best friend Jennell (congratulations lady!), and KD sisters (Norma, Robin, and Rebecca). We spent the evening reminiscing about college, sharing dreams for the future, dining on Christina’s fine cooking, and laughing so hard we cried. Does life get any better?

As you can probably infer, I had a wonderful time! Even though I moved 3,000 miles away and love my life in Charlottsville, this week confirmed that no matter what happens, my family and friends will always welcome me with open arms and a huge hug! As we all continue this journey called life, we must never forget the road that leads us home.

No comments:

Post a Comment