Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day (Rhubarb/Strawberry Crisp and Bok Choy Salad)

It's Mother's Day and I get to see my mom and mother-in-law this week for Frank's graduation. The only downside of living 3,000 away from my hometown is not seeing family.  My mom and I have a very special bond (thanks to Facebook, email, and cell phones we have been able to maintain our close friendship) and I am looking forward to our morning runs and hours in the kitchen. Plus, I get to see her in Denver in June and San Francisco in July so this will be a wonderful summer!


My mom is truly someone to emulate. She is a giver and has been a high school teacher/coach for over 30 years. Do you know what they pay teachers in rural Idaho? Not much so my parents clearly don't do it for the compensation but instead to make a positive impact in this world. She is a farmer (her raised vegetable beds are very cool, her lambs/chickens/beef are grass fed and taste delicious, and her hops infuse various flavors of delicious homemade brews...Pumpkin Porter is my favorite!); an athlete (she religiously completes her daily runs and yoga practices); an artist (the sheep's wool rugs that she creates are breathtaking); and an amazing cook (I get severe cravings for freshly caught salmon, biscuits and gravy made with deer sausage, dutch oven potatoes and pork ribs, and homemade chocolate ice cream). I love you mom! Thank you for being an amazing woman, wife, mother, and friend!

In the spirit of Mother's Day, we had a wonderful lunch with our neighbors Joe and Katherine, Katherine's brother, and Andy.  Our mothers live in Idaho, Tennessee, and Ohio so we toasted them from afar (and called them of course!) and dined on a grilled london broil, asparagus, cheesy squash,  rosemary red potatoes, bok choy salad, and a rhubarb/strawberry crisp. I brought the latter two dishes because I received bok choy, strawberries, and rhubarb in our CSA from Horse & Buggy.

Strawberry/Rhubarb Crisp

Filling
1 cup strawberries
2 cups rhubarb
1/2 cup raw sugar (more if rhubarb is bitter)
1 tablespoon flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Topping
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons real maple syrup
2 teaspoons cinnamon


Cut strawberries and rhubarb in bite-sized pieces and mix together with sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
If you have time, let filling sit in fridge for an hour to let the flavors incorporate.
Mix together topping ingredients and spread evenly over fruit filling.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Serve with vanilla yogurt or ice cream.

Bok Choy Salad

When I was in college, there was a wonderful little store called the Moscow Food Co-op that had the most amazing deli salads, breads, and cookies. This was one of my favorite salads and when I graduated, I bought their cookbook to I could continue to enjoy the tastes of Moscow and my time at the University of Idaho. Bok Choy is an asian cabbage and makes delicious salads and additions to stir fry. This recipe is full of nutrients and color which are perfect for a special spring/summer meal.

1 head bok choy (thinly sliced)
2 cups red cabbage (thinly sliced)
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup tamari (or reduced sodium soy sauce)
1/2 cup toasted almonds

Chop and toss veggies together in large salad bowl.
Whisk together vinegar, canola oil, sugar, and tamari and toss with veggies.
When ready to serve, top with toasted almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment