Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Healthy Snacks

What a great day! I hosted an Ice Cream Social at Darden with Staff Council, toasted to record breaking fundraising in the Darden Annual Fund, and picked up my CSA (plums, blueberries, onions, corn, lettuce, and brown eggs). Blake is at McGrady's Irish Pub at Happy Hour with his softball team so I thought it would be a great time to make some snacks for our road trip to see Aunt Polly in Pennsylvania.

I am a huge snacker! On a typical day, I eat at least 3-4 snacks to keep my blood sugar level and energy high. They usually consist of a variety of fruits, nuts, and seeds which are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Here are a few of my very favorites.

Aunt Martha's Sherpa Bars

When I was in Colorado, Aunt Martha loaded my backpack with these gems and they tasted delicious on the trail. They pack really well so you can eat them for breakfast when traveling, as an afternoon pick-me-up at work, or during a long hike or bike ride. Plus, this recipe can be adapted to personal preference.

1 1/2 cups dried fruit (I used apricots, raisins, and dates)
1 1/2 cups nuts/seeds (I used pumpkin seeds, sunflower seed, and almonds)
1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cups oats
1/8 cups honey
1/8 cups canola oil
1/4 cups water

Pulse all ingredients in a food processor or blender until combined.
Press into a glass dish sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake for 20 minutes at 300 degrees.
Cut into bars and wrap individually in plastic wrap.
Freeze until ready to eat.

Smokey Almonds

My Mom taught me this simple trick and it changes a bland unsalted almond into a smokey treat.
Bake unsalted whole almonds on a cookie sheet for 20 minutes at 300 degrees.
Let cool and put in an air sealed container.

Chocolate Banana Smoothie

I love ice cream (especially homemade) and this concoction tastes just like this creamy treat.

Blend together:
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon honey (if you have a very ripe banana, you probably do not need the honey)

I love nuts in my ice cream so I stirred in some peanuts last night and it was divine!

What are your favorite healthy snacks?

No comments:

Post a Comment