Saturday, July 9, 2011

Summer Specialties

Pardon the delay in blog posts, late June/early July has been a blur of traveling and special memories. I spent a week in Keystone Resort, Colorado for an MBA Career Services Conference. I spent this time doing yoga in the fresh mountain air, reconnecting with colleagues that I met last year and striking up informative conversations with new ones, broadening my knowledge of Career Services across the world, and finding my new intellectual passion: Positive Psychology (I have two new books ready to read: Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi and Flourish: A Visionary Understanding of Happiness and Well-Being by Martin Seligman). As silly as it sounds, I did a happy dance when they arrived from Amazon!


After the conference, my Aunt Martha, Uncle Glen, Cousin Sam, and girlfriend Caroline picked me up and took me to meet my parents and Aunt Kathy and Uncle Joe in Glenwood Springs. Not only do they have a great brewery and the gravesite of Doc Holiday, but the Hot Springs Pool is an entire city block long! My Aunt and I spent hours walking back and forth in deep discussion. We spent the next few days at Auntie M's house in the mountains outside Denver where we hiked, chatted for hours, and cooked delicious dinners (homemade ravioli with a cherry tomato sauce, tiramisu, and fresh salmon straight from the Salmon River, anyone?) Before departing for Charlottesville, we spent one night in Highlands Ranch at Aunt Kathy and Uncle Joe's. Thank you for taking us to the wonderful Mexican Restaurant (all of those years living in Tucson really paid off!)


For 4th of July weekend, Blake, Andy, and I headed to Sandbridge Beach (where Blake and I were married)for some serious beach time. We spent our days walking on the beach, reading novels, cheering on the Norfolk Tides, and finding amazing seafood restaurants. In 3 days, we dined on fresh grouper, flounder, crab, and shrimp. It was relaxing and exactly what we wanted from our beach getaway!


Since returning from the beach, there have been many happy memories. Two new fabulous ladies, Kelly and Melanie, joined our book club. Kelly is a Master's student in Biomedical Engineering (she is working on fascinating breast cancer research) and Melanie is the meteorologist for CBS19 and makes an awesome in-arena host for Women's Basketball and Baseball. We had a wonderful time at Katherine's discussing our free reads and dining on Veggie Lasagna. 


Today started off wonderfully as I attended the first yoga session of a new organization in Charlottesville, Pop Up Yoga, which was founded by one of the Darden rising Second Year students. The mission of this organization is to bring affordable yoga to public spaces around our area. This morning I practiced in the middle of the City Market (yes, there were hundreds of gawkers making comments) but I had a phenomenal time. There are other FREE yoga sessions this week at parks around the city and there will be more frequent practices available at their new studio downtown. Check them out on Facebook or www.popupyogacville.com!


This weekend, Blake and I are grilling inside-out cheeseburgers with home-grown beef from my parents stuffed with cheddar and jalepenos with homemade buns, fresh corn from the City Market, and okra from Horse & Buggy. We also have plans to visit Kate, Shane, and Baby Gracie; attend a cookout at Courtney's to celebrate her new internship in Tuscany; and look forward to another great week ahead!


Next up...Bastille Day at Aunt Polly and Uncle Dick's in Pennsylvania. This is an annual tradition that is full of family, delicious food, and at least 60 interesting and eclectic guests (they are theatre people after all!)

No comments:

Post a Comment