Thursday, July 28, 2011

Phillips-Armstrongs Take NoCal!

Point Reyes Lighthouse
There are times in life that are simply too special for words and this past week was full of those moments. I spent two days in Sonoma County with Blake listening to the eerie hum of the Point Reyes Light House, walking on the Pacific coast picking up oyster shells, craning our necks to see the very tip-top of the Redwoods, sipping sparkling Iron Horse wine from the most beautiful spot in Sonoma, and dining on the best food of our lives (Porcini Mushroom and Ricotta Ravioli with a Gorgonzola Cream Sauce) at Mamma Tanino's. I can say without a doubt, it was one of our very best days!

Luckily, the fun was not over and my parents joined us for 4 days in San Francisco. After spending the first day sampling local fruit at the Ferry Terminal, dining on fish tacos at Don Pistos in the North End, and enjoying the game day atmosphere at 21st Amendment Brewery, Blake and I were ready to relive our wonderful day in Sonoma. We rented a car and took my parents to see all of the beautiful sights. Bodega Bay for oysters. Viking Ship Rock (my name) along the Pacific Coast Highway for beach combing. Redwoods for some soul searching. Iron Horse for their wine and amazing view. Russian River for Pleny the Elder (according to experts, this is the #2 Indian Pale Ale in the country) and delicious homemade pasta at Ca' Bianca in Santa Rosa. As we returned to San Francisco over the Golden Gate, I realized how lucky I am to have a wonderful family to share in special memories....and we still had 2 days together!

Some more highlights from our adventure:
-Sharing a loaf of Acme Company Whole Wheat Sourdough bread and local fruit on the pier gazing at the Bay Bridge
-Climbing many, many stairs to Coit Tower through the most beautiful flowers you have ever seen
-Enjoying the view from "The Crookedest Street in America"
-Cruising the Bay during a very sunny evening (after a week of 60 degrees, I was ready for some warmth)
-Drinking beer at 21st Amendment and finding Dogfish Head 90Min IPA at various places throughout the city
-Spending hours with the three most important people in my life!

I'd say we had a wonderful time and I am looking forward to another family vacation next summer...Oregon Coast to celebrate Frank's wedding? That sounds about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment