Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Big Show

Tonight is the night that I put on my sparkling dancing shoes, bright pink dress, and best smile for Dancing with the Darden Stars! Am I nervous? It's 6:30 AM and I can't get triple step, triple step, back step out of my head so yes. Am I scared? Other than the fact that Dave could literally drop me on my head multiple times during our 2 minute routine, not really. Am I excited? Absolutely, I honestly cannot wait!

As I alluded to in multiple posts, I was asked to be a "star" at the SHE Auction tonight and perform the triple step swing with a student in front of hundreds of people. My first reaction was "absolutely", "of course", "how much fun!" and then reality set in...I am a terrible dancer (in fact, I have no rhythm at all) and I have never performed in front of an audience. I have thought of countless ways to get out of the event...can I sprain an ankle, get the flu, book an "emergency" trip? Then I remind myself that nobody in the audience expects us to be good, they are attending for the entertainment ( and we do have dips, turns, and lifts). Plus, the comedic value in falling is pretty high and more importantly, we are raising money for an imperative non-profit in the community, The Shelter for Help in Emergency.

When was the last time you tried something new? Maybe you want to learn how to snowboard or salsa or sing. Are you stuck in a job where you are passing the time but have no passion for the work or the people around you? Do you want to travel the world but think that you don't have time or it's too expensive? In our lives, we get stuck in routines and only do things that are comfortable. We live in fear of the unknown and are scared of the mental (or physical) pain that comes with taking risks but what about the rewards? When you step outside of your routine to learn something new or achieve a lifelong dream, you grow as a person. Aren't you happier when you find a new hobby, conquer tricky choreography, or feel passionate about your work?

No matter what happens tonight, I am so thankful for my dancing journey! Not only do I have an amazing partner who is patient, funny, and grew up in Chicago watching Michael Jordan play in human form (I think that's a pretty big deal!), but I have conquered one of my fears of dancing in front of hundreds of people. At the end of the evening, I know that our Darden family will be cheering for us and I will be smiling from ear to ear.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have been there to watch you! Sounds like it was a huge success =)

    ReplyDelete