Saturday, February 26, 2011

How Yoga Changed My Life

What images appear when you think about yoga? Crazy poses, strange mantras, and tie dye? While those images may be true in some contexts, I am here to tell you yoga is truly for every body.

I took many yoga classes in college because it was an easy way to reach the 128 credits I needed to graduate and it was great relaxation after Step Aerobics and Zumba. I thought it was fun but I never thought it would change my life. On New Year's Day 2010, I made a resolution to do a yoga practice every day for a year. I would set aside 20-30 minutes to focus on my breathing, stretch my muscles, and spend time focusing on me. I practiced in hotel rooms in Dublin, Virginia Beach, and Nashville;  on beautiful decks in North Carolina and Idaho overlooking the ocean and gazing towards the soaring Rocky Mountains; attended classes in Boston and Charlottesville (Bikram Yoga is not for the faint of heart); and spent a lot of time in downward dog staring at my living room rug. 425 days later I have not missed a practice and the benefits have been overwhelming.

Not only am I more flexible in body (I still have a long way to go before I can do a full headstand or put my legs behind my head), but also in mind. I have always had a fierce temper and regularly deal with anger and anxiety issues. My close friends and family are the only ones who have ever seen "the devil come out" as my friend Becky calls it and I am not proud of this personality flaw. However, yoga has given me more patience and brought a sense of calm to my entire being. Today, I am much nicer to myself and those around me than I was 14 months ago and small missteps, like a schedule change at work, used to drive me absolutely crazy. Now, I can deal with these minute problems with a smile.

My parents have jumped on the yoga train and I could not be prouder of them. My mom has practiced every day since Jan 1 and is already reaping the benefits. She has been fighting a hamstring running injury for about 18 months and yoga has been a huge help in loosening the muscle. We regularly discuss our practices during our phone chats and I can't wait to join her and my Aunt Martha this summer in Colorado for our daily routine! Plus, is there anything more comfortable than a pair of yoga pants?

Today, I encourage you to try yoga. Find a routine instantly on Netflix or YouTube, attend a class at your local gym, and begin improving your life and overall happiness--one downward dog at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment