Monday, February 7, 2011

The Power of the Written Word

Quick update on Dancing with the Darden Stars...it was amazing...in fact, I am still riding on a 72 hour adrenaline rush! While we had a few missteps and it was far from perfect, we nailed our lift and dip (it was by far the best we had ever done and it brought the house down!). I am still looking to see if anyone captured the full extension lift on camera so look for pictures soon! Have I mentioned that I love my job? Where else but Darden does your work entail learning how to dance??

Another reason to be happy? Staff retreats! While some people may wince at the thought, I had a fabulous retreat today with the Admissions staff. Katherine and Cheryl made us a delicious meal of black bean lasagna; italian sausage and goat cheese lasagna; spinach salad with strawberries, almonds, goat cheese, and poppyseed dressing; seedy bread; and a beautiful chocolate trifle. We spent 45 minutes on business topics (basically getting ready for a follow-up retreat in May) and then spent an hour on team building. We picked a name out of a hat, were asked to write a nice letter to that person, and then share it with the group. What a fantastic idea! The written word is so powerful. We shared thoughts on 20+ year friendships, daily smiles, mentoring opportunities, unwavering service to students and each other, and you know what I realized when I looked around the room? I truly like everyone, in fact, I would go as far as to say I would regard them all as my friends. In life we don't always get to choose the people who work along side us so how did I get so lucky? The relationships that I have forged at Darden during my 2.5 year tenure are unbelievable and I am so thankful for my colleagues!

I was also reminded of the importance of handwritten notes. Do you remember how it feels to receive a nice card in the snail mail? How about a sticky note on your desk that says "Good Morning! I hope you have a nice day!"? What about a nice thank you card after hosting an event? There are two people in my life who have mastered the art of handwritten cards, my mother-in-law, Barbara, and one of my greatest friends and former colleagues, Kristen (Lueckel) Buckler. Barbara remembers to send Blake and I birthday cards, anniversary cards, Valentine's Day cards and she never fails to brighten my day with this simple gesture. She is one of the classiest women I know and I am so proud to call her family! Kristen is one of those rare gems in this world and remembers to send all of her friends birthday cards (its no wonder she has so many friends). I remember one specific time last year when I won an award at Darden and she not only gave me a "Congratulations" card but also a huge balloon. It made my day (in fact, it made my week) because she made me feel valued.

Are there people in your life who deserve a handwritten note? Did someone help you work through a problem or lend a listening ear? I encourage you to think of those in your life who have made you a happier person and write to say "thank you" or "just thinking about you". I promise you will make their day a little brighter, too!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out Carrie! You deserved the award and I was so proud of you. Keep writing thank you notes and your relationships will last a lifetime. Plus it is always fun to get snal mail :) Miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey carrie, i've fallen behind reading, but so nice to catch up on a friday night. here's a very cool story from a man i worked for at nabisco:http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2011/02/secrets_of_positive_feedback.html

    ReplyDelete