Thursday, February 3, 2011

Idahoans Love Veggies!

I read an article today in Women's Health Magazine that ranked Boise, Idaho in their list of Top 10 Cities for Women. Boise is a wonderful small city (with exception of that annoying blue and orange team) that is the home to my best friends, Christina and Jennell. It is in the heart of the Treasure Valley, at the base of the Rocky Mountains and has some of the most beautiful soil in the world. Sadly, it is becoming victim to urban sprawl and much of this valuable farmland is being subdivided into housing developments...it is shameful to see what is happening to this nutritious mecca (wow, I am starting to sound like my Dad!)

So why did this national publication rank Boise as one of the best cities in the country? Because we Idahoans love our veggies and Boise boasts one of the lowest diabetes rates in the country. I have an obsession with vegetables: I eat them in my morning omelet, again at lunch in salads, sandwiches, wraps, or soups, have a snack of crudites and hummus, and at dinner in absolutely every meal I cook. I eat them partially because they are good for me and give me tons of energy, but mostly, I eat so many because I really enjoy the taste! I also attribute my positive impression to growing up with a family garden that boasted the most delicious carrots, snap peas, potatoes, corn, and tomatoes that I have ever eaten...thanks Mom for making me spend my summers weeding!

My reputation as a veggie-head must be getting around because I participated today in a focus group at Darden for a Second Year Corporate Innovation course on vegetables. These students are doing a project for Birdseye and wanted to get our opinion on how often we eat veggies, in what form (frozen, fresh, canned), where we buy our produce, and our overall impressions of this food group.

While I am not a vegetarian (my absolute favorite good is pork bbq), the majority of my diet is comprised of fruits and vegetables but I understand that most people don't fall into this category. If this sounds like you, I encourage you to be creative and find new ways to incorporate veggies into your daily diet.

Here are some simple ways to add more nutrition into your life:

Saute frozen or fresh broccoli with olive oil, red pepper flakes, and garlic

Add red peppers, mushrooms, and/or onions into your morning eggs

Toss red potatoes with olive oil, fresh rosemary, salt, pepper, and roast at 400 degrees for 1 hour

Wrap a sweet potato in foil and bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour (I prefer them plain but you can also make this a meal by adding black beans, corn, and salsa)

Cut up carrots, celery, cucumbers, and bell peppers and serve with hummus

What are your easy veggie recipes?

1 comment:

  1. Dinner. Now. Leftover grilled Valentine's Day salmon aarmed up and drizzled with hoison sauce dressing and served on a bed of field greens.

    Your rock the boat, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete