Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Overcoming Bad Days

Have you ever had one of those days that did not go according to plan? I woke up to the news of snow on the horizon (and anyone who lives in Charlottesville knows that 1-2 inch of snow will shut down the entire city). When I got to work, class visits that I diligently planned yesterday had to be changed (and then changed again, and again); two events that I was looking forward to (assembling trail mix and yogurt parfaits with the kids at the Boys & Girls Club and a Future Fund social event at The Local) were cancelled; and the roads were terribly icy on the way home. To be honest, I was VERY grumpy and I'm afraid people around me could sense my negative energy.

So what does an eternal optimist do when they get home after a semi-pitiful day? I put on a yoga dvd  and you know what I realized? I actually had a very good day! At First Coffee, the Darden African Business Organization provided coffee and tea from Cameroon, West Africa, and the Ivory Coast; I participated in a book club over lunch with women colleagues whom I deeply respect; and I received unwavering support from my boss, Whitney, when the inclement weather hit and schedule changes needed to happen.

In our lives, we spend too much time focusing on negative events but I challenge you to begin focusing on the great things that happen every day (they may be small like savoring a delicious cup of coffee or receiving support from a friend or colleague). Even though I am unable to attend the great events I had planned this evening, Blake and I are going to transport ourselves into summer by making Margherita Pizza and opening a bottle of Sparking Wine. With enough imagination, I think I can hear the waves and the seagulls right now....

Margherita Pizza Recipe

Whole Wheat Dough Ball (I recommend one from Whole Foods)
Prepared Pesto
Cherry Tomatoes (cut in half)
Mozzarella Cheese

This recipe is so easy and absolutely delicious!

Roll out Dough
Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes or until crust is slightly brown
Smear dough with Pesto
Sprinkle with lots of Tomatoes
Top with Mozzarella Cheese
Bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese and crust are golden brown

No comments:

Post a Comment