Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Top Five Fitness Memories



I am often asked where I get all of my energy. If you are a close friend or colleague, you know that I am bouncing off the walls most of the time. This is partially due to having a lot of love in my life but I also attribute this high-level of energy to my early morning dates with my friend, Mr. Stairclimber and Jillian Michaels. I am a huge advocate for physical fitness and do not believe that you can be your best self without some form of regular exercise. Start with where you are today. If you have not worked out in a while (or ever) begin walking 30 minutes a day. I have two amazing colleagues who meet three days a week for a lunchtime walk. If you are a workout pro and run a few days a week, begin incorporating strength training (I highly recommend Jillian Michael’s 30-Day Shred Workout) and/or a regular yoga practice.

If you are struggling with a problem, experiencing a high level of anxiety, or feeling upset it’s time to begin! You are capable of working out and you are a stronger than you think. Blake and I are huge fans of “The Biggest Loser” and tune in every Tuesday to watch the contestants work hard to drop much needed weight. Last week, a 500 pound man began running on the treadmill. It was not particularly elegant but he was running! If he can do it, I have complete faith that you can begin exercising, too! My mom always said that the hardest part of running was putting your shoes on, so it’s time to lace up your sneakers and begin living a healthier, happier life!

To give you some inspiration, I wanted to share my Top Five Fitness Memories.

1. Running along the Charles River in Boston with Everette
Everette is one of my greatest mentors and we had the best run while at a conference for the MBA Career Services Council.

2. Practicing Yoga in the Rocky Mountains
I grew up in a beautiful town in Idaho surrounded by the Rocky Mountains. This summer I spent a glorious week at home and had the opportunity to breathe the clean mountain air and gaze at the snow-capped mountains from my parent’s new deck. Some people spend thousands of dollars to go on a trendy yoga retreat but I had the good fortune of practicing for free and spending quality time with my family!

3. Cycling along the Atlantic Coast on the Outer Banks of North Carolina
One of the many perks of being a morning person is welcoming the day with open arms. We have spent the last two summers vacationing in the Outer Banks and I have vivid memories of watching beautiful sunrises and listening to the waves and seagulls while biking along the coastline.

4. Running with my Mom
There is no relationship in my life that is stronger than the one I have with my Mom. Blake says that we are two hens who can talk about nothing for hours. She is one of my true fitness inspirations and I have the fondest memories of running side by side solving the world’s problems and noting the beautiful scenery.

5. Zumba at the University of Idaho
When I was in college, I participated in many fitness classes and my favorite was Zumba (Latin Dance Floor Aerobics). The instructors were a hoot and I always left every class on an emotional high! If you are new to working out or are bored with your current routine, I strongly suggest this fun cardio class.

2 comments: